Today, I had a run in with the BYU gatekeepers and now I want to hit them all with a semi. Really, I want to know how being a gatekeeper to BYU makes your ego explode into making you think you are some freaking cop. Gahhh. And I was just trying to be a good roommate.
So my roomie RJ has a broken foot, so I pick him up from school because he can’t gimp all the way home. So I go to pick him up today, and took campus drive. Those who aren’t familiar with BYU layout, there is a street that runs through campus called campus drive, and at the two ends of the street are gatekeepers. So I go to pick RJ up and the guy asked me for a disability placard, but RJ doesn’t have any because he doesn’t have a card. So the guy tells me to give him my ID card and just pick it up on my way back.
I drive through and the parking lot where RJ was waiting has the entrance behind the gate and the exit on the other side. So to my dismay, I had to explain to the other gate keeper why I needed to go back through.
“Do you have a disability placard?”
“No, I don’t. The other guy took my student ID instead, and so I need to go back through to get my ID.”
He calls up the other guy and asks if he took my ID, and I clearly heard the other guy say, “Yes.”
“You are going to have to go around another way because you don’t have an ID card.”
Really? No shit Sherlock. So I am pissed off because the way around takes like twenty minutes. I give the guy my wow-you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me face, roll up my window, drive away and call him a douchebag. I cursed all the way to the other gate and I pull up to get my ID card. I just stuck my hand out of the window to get my ID and the guy won’t give it to me.
“I just got a report that you were cussing at the other guard, called him a douche bag, and gave him attitude.”
“Umm… No I didn’t. Just give me my ID.”
Then he gave me this whole spiel about how he is an authority figure and it was a privilege that I was allowed to go back on campus drive. I was pissed. My foot started tapping, and I was just thinking, “Who the hell do you think you are? You are a gatekeeper. Like dude, put your dick away, seriously.” I got my ID back but was totally frustrated during the molecular bio test that I had to take right after… Man am I steamed.

1 comment:
Life lesson: There is nothing so arrogant as a petty bureaucrat secretly angry that he doesn't have more power. Reacting as you did only feeds their ego. Sometimes you just gotta schmooze and flatter to get your way, but if it works, then you've claimed the power in the situation even though they may not realize it. which makes it even better, actually.
Post a Comment